For Teachers and Chaperones
- Discuss your curriculum with the Education staff at the Museum so they can help you choose the most appropriate tour for your students.
- Prepare students for their visit through classroom activities. Pre-visit activities empower students to actively engage in their Museum program. Please contact [email protected] if you would like to discuss classroom activities related to your program.
- Reconfirm the details of your tour with a staff member of the Education Department by calling +1 (607) 438-5401 or emailing [email protected] one week before your visit. Note the date, arrival and departure times, number of students and chaperones, how many groups your students should be divided into, and details for lunch and additional activities.
- Inform chaperones of their responsibility to stay with their group and assist with discipline and safety. Students must remain in chaperoned groups before, during, and after the tour, whether in the galleries, shops, or cafeteria or near the Museum entrances.
- Join the discussion to encourage students’ participation and help students relate Museum activities to what they have been studying.
- Help with safety by helping students on escalators, making sure there is an adult at the back of each group, and assisting at crosswalks. Also, please be sure the children know the names of the adults in charge of their group.
- Assist your bus drivers by printing and sharing copies of the Map for Teachers and Bus Drivers.
- Let us know if you have problems getting to the Museum and cannot arrive on time. Please call the Admissions Desk at +1 (607) 438-5355.
- Review your Museum program when you return to the classroom. Post-visit activities reiterate what students learned and allow them to express their own opinions about the experience.
- If possible, leave coats, backpacks, and large bags at school or on the bus. They may not be taken into the galleries and will have to be left unattended.
- Photography is allowed in our galleries, but no flash, please. Also, to protect the artwork, no selfie sticks may be used in the Museum building.
- Please walk, don’t run. Be careful and considerate of others while getting on and off the escalators.
- Students must stay with their chaperone before, during, and after the tour, whether in the galleries, shops, or cafeteria or near the Museum entrances. Never walk away with strangers.
- Keep the Museum safe by not bringing food and drink into the galleries, touching the glass art, standing on pedestals, or making phone calls or texting during tours.